Home ➥ About CSI ➥ History
History of Child Saving Institute
124 Years of Service
Child Saving Institute can trace its origins in the Omaha community to 1892. Due to the hazards of pioneer life, epidemics and poverty, many children were left in need of parental care. Our founder Rev. A.W. Clark realized there was greater need among the neglected and abandoned children he encountered than the men and women he initially intended to reform. With the support of his wife, Sarah, Rev. Clark admitted the first child, a 7-year-old girl, to the Boys and Girls Aid Society which soon became Child Saving Institute.
In 1911, with the help of a $25,000 pledge from benefactors Sarah and George Joslyn, the agency moved to a state-of-the art orphanage. For the next 65 years the agency provided services from that facility including a safe haven for abandoned children, adoption, and a home for unwed mothers.
While children remained the primary focus, as the decades passed the needs expanded and challenges loomed as orphanages across the country were closed.
Services were added including:
- Emergency short-term residential care for children whose families are in crisis
- Developmental child care for low-income working parents
- Consulting services for low-income child care centers across the city
- In-home services for families struggling to stay together
- Foster care
- Parenting classes
- Therapy services
- Pregnancy counseling
- Pediatric social work
- Adoption for infants and older children.
The needs of today's children and youth are as diverse and complex as the communities in the Omaha metro area. Today, Child Saving Institute offers a variety of programs with the help of more than 140 dedicated and compassionate employees.
We are proud to continue Rev. Clark’s mission of "responding to the cry of a child," but it is our vision that guides us as we work to give the children we serve safe, happy childhoods. Our vision is that ALL children have homes where hope is kindled and dreams can be achieved.