Home ➥ Services ➥ Child Welfare Services ➥ Adoption
Adopting a Child in Foster Care
Child Saving Institute's (CSI) adoption specialists are dedicated to preparing and supporting children in foster care throughout their journey to find their forever families. At CSI, we also provide guidance, support, and training to those opening their homes to these children—both before and after placement—in order to ensure family success.
Today, CSI's primary focus in adoption is finding loving, nurturing families for older children in need of a forever family. Older child adoption isn’t always easy, but for the most part, neither is doing anything worthwhile—like parenting. Welcoming an older child into your home is life-changing—for you as well as the child. Your willingness to make a difference will repair a hurt that might not have been fixed in any other way, or by any other person.
Those families interested in adopting children in foster care must first receive training and complete a home study to become licensed foster parents. At this time, CSI is not accepting applications from families who are interested only in adopting infants.
Identified Adoption or Relative Adoption
If you have already been identified to adopt a child known or related to you, CSI will complete your adoptive home study and provide post-placement support.
CSI will assist you in obtaining medical, social, and photograph information when available for those individuals previously adopted from CSI. We also assist in locating biological family members and will serve as the facilitator to initiate contact with them. Contact our post-adoption staff >>
CSI completes a comprehensive home study (family assessment) prior to approval for ALL types adoptions. Following placement of a child in your home, the adoption worker will continue to offer support and post placement visits until your adoption is finalized. In this way, we lead the way in creatively "growing" loving families.
Nebraska Heart Gallery
Children wind up in the foster care system most frequently because of abuse, neglect, or abandonment. Yet, the resiliency of children is extraordinary. With love and support these children—like ALL children—are able to heal and succeed.
Like most kids, children in foster care want to be just like everyone else. They need love. They need a family. They need YOU. Visit the Nebraska Heart Gallery to meet the children who are in need of forever families >>
Why Child Saving Institute
CSI is an adoption leader in the Omaha community for more than 130 years:
- We are grounded in the best permanency practices of open adoption, older child adoption, and post-adoption support.
- CSI’s adoption specialists have received comprehensive training in preparing you to care for children who have endured trauma. They are experts in attachment and are adept in evidence-based practices to help you prepare your family for a new (perhaps older) addition.
- We are there for you providing the support you need throughout the entire process—from licensing and timely home study completion to identifying children who might be the best fit for your family. In addition, we offer ongoing education and support during the placement phase all the way through finalization.
CSI's adoption philosophies are based on the following beliefs:
- We focus on the best interests of the child when finding a forever family for the child.
- Every child has the right to a permanent, nurturing, and safe family.
- The agency is legally, morally, and ethically responsible for trying to place children in homes where they will have the opportunity to develop healthy self-concepts and receive the physical and emotional nurturing support they need to develop their full potential.
As you open your heart to the possibility of adoption, we hope you’ll rely on us to answer your many questions about adoption and the children currently waiting for loving families. No matter where your adoption journey may take you, Child Saving Institute hopes to be a part of it as a resource for information, education, and support.
To speak with an adoption specialist, please contact Child Saving Institute at 402.553.6000.