Channel your inner artist and go on a colorful journey right at home. Let’s go “out of this world” into the world of galactic painting, where you and your little ones can create a stunning masterpiece to hang proudly on your walls (or the kitchen fridge).
- Black construction paper
- Acrylic paints (blue, purple, pink, white, black, or however you want your galaxy to look)
- Toothbrush (for splattering – make sure your kids don’t brush their teeth blue!)
- Paper plate
- Water and paper towels
- Save your kitchen table (or brand new hardwood flooring) by covering it with newspaper or an old cloth to catch paint.
- Start with a black piece of paper or paint it black as your base. This is what the nighttime sky will look like!
- Mix different shades of blue, purple, and pink on your palette to create the galaxy’s colors. You can also add a touch of white to make the stars glow.
- Use a paintbrush to create a soft, blended background. Blend the colors seamlessly to mimic the appearance of a nebula. Use this as an educational opportunity to teach them about the galactic world and different kinds of stars!
- Splatter white paint using a toothbrush to create distant stars. Hold the toothbrush close to the canvas and run your thumb over the bristles to create the splatter effect.
- For some fun design moments, use a smaller brush to add swirls and patterns in darker shades. Or paint them with your fingers!
- Let your painting dry completely before displaying it in your home (proudly, of course).
Show us your pictures on Instagram by tagging us @childsavinginstitute and using #GalaxiesofCSI!